Thursday, August 25, 2011

Ah So, Ah So

The other night we had "Japanese Village" night.  What is this you ask?  Well, it is where we rip off the awesome food you get at Japanese village.  It's actually a pretty easy meal to cook, cheap as hell to make and very very yummy. 

Basically you get some beef strips and stir fry them with some teriyaki sauce.  Meanwhile you make some nice basmati rice and stir fry some strips of cabbage, onion, carrot, whatever mix you like with some soy sauce.  The result is almost exactly like Japanese village, except without the asian guy that flings knives around : )

Anyone that has gone to JV knows that what takes these dishes to another level is the sauce you can put on the food.  You can get a sauce that tastes exactly like JV's by going into the Sawmill restaurant and buying a bottle.  This however is kind of a pain as we don't have one nearby and you always have to go make a special trip.

So this year when we went to the St. Albert farmers market we saw a bunch of sauces and dips at the Blue Kettle booth.   They had a ginger sauce that we thought we would try.  The amusing part is that I asked the nice lady how long it would last in the fridge.  Little did I know that this was an incredibly stupid question because this would NEVER be an issue.  This stuff is amazing!  Good lord you could spread it on cardboard and it would be yumm-ee! 

So when we went to use it for our JV night recently, the jar was empty!!!  Noooo...(insert psycho music here)!  The crack sauce is gone!  It was a sad moment, now we would have to have naked rice and vegetables ; (    This used to be just fine until I got a taste of this evil stuff in a bottle, but now I want it all the time.

I even hooked my friend Steve and now he is looking for a supplier...er...a dealer...I mean a store to get more.  Luckily they sell at various places other than the market so we can get a fix in the winter months as well.

So damn you Blue Kettle lady with your nice gray hair and pleasant smile...you are pure evil.

5 comments:

  1. It *is* pure evil. I am even looking for ways to incorporate it into breakfast...hmmm...on scrambled eggs? Ya...that might work. But what about desert? On icecream? In a soufflé? There must be a way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried this sauce, and it sounds like it's better for the sanctity of whatever soul I have left if I never do. Clearly this woman is a witch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does your blog hate my blog so much? 3 days ago? Come ON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Liam, I removed your blog from my list and added it again and still no updated post? wtf?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the Sawmill steak sauce, and we have indeed passed along the addiction to almost all our friends that we have had over for supper. Eggs would be a new adventure for me though, but probably worth a shot as nothing tastes bad with that liquid gold on it... yum I think that's what we should have for supper tonight thanks Tammy!

    ReplyDelete