I started this post and had it on the back burner. But then when I read the Disco Earl post, my retro groove stirred.
We all have favorite movies from the 70's and 80's depending on how long you have been alive. Many of these movies were classic for their time. I am not saying they were "quality" movies, some were definitely not. But they were unique and fun and reflected the decade they were made in. Of course with the lack of fresh ideas out there, it is to be expected that some movies will be re-done. Some I can understand, but many I can not!
Here is a sampling of some coming to a theatre near you!
Footloose
The original was 1984. It was a classic tale of teen rebellion and repression featuring a combination of dance choreography and realistic and touching performances. When teenager Ren and his family move from big-city Chicago to a small town in the West, he's in for a real case of culture shock. Though he tries hard to fit in, the streetwise Ren can't quite believe he's living in a place where rock music and dancing are illegal.
Oh my gawdd! Rock music and dancing are illegal!!!??
This movie was cute, it had Kevin Bacon in it and a whole crapload of catchy toons. I suspect the sound track was a big part of why it was so popular. Plus it was the eighties! Will this really work again? In the days of every other teen having a cell phone and knowing far too much about sexting, do we really think this innocent story will fly? It will be out in October so you can see for yourself.
The Thing
I really liked the Thing. I remember it being creepee up at that cold and deserted looking research station. Those were the days when they really mastered the art of scaring the crap out of you without really showing a lot. The only movie that I had seen like this was the 1979 Alien. It was also great to watch an adult Kurt Russell. As a kid he was always on the Sunday disney shows, but now he was kicking alien ass.
The original was 1982. An American scientific expedition to the frozen wastes of the Antarctic is interrupted by a group of seemingly mad Norwegians pursuing and shooting a dog. The helicopter pursuing the dog crashes leaving no explanation for the chase. During the night, the dog mutates and attacks other dogs in the cage and members of the team that investigate. The team soon realizes that an alien life-form with the ability to take over other bodies is on the loose and they don't know who may already have been taken over.
The re-made version is also out this October with some new actors I don't really know.
Warriors
A 1979 cult classic. A rough and tumble NYC gang called The Warriors are framed for killing Cyrus, the leader of the most powerful gang in New York. Cyrus has been trying to unite all the gangs in the area, so they can rule the city as one unit. When a big meeting for all the gangs is organized by Cyrus, the head of Gramercy Riffs, all hell breaks loose after Cyrus is shot. The Warriors are falsely accused of being the ones responsible, now they must make it back alive to Coney Island before retribution is taken.. back to their own turf.
In its day this seemed like a good movie. What stood out were the "scary" gangs they had back then. You expected Michael Jackson to show up and hold a dance off at any moment! Everyone remembers hearing "hey warriors..wanna come out and play?". Click here if you would like to take a little blast back to the past and revisit some of these gangs of awesomeness (that's what Cliff would call them). I am thinking this one will be worth a revisit on a cheezy movie night.
For those of you tingling in your pantelonies because you can't wait for the re-make, it won't be out until spring of 2012 : (
Judge Dredd
What can I say, I am a sucker for a Sylvester Stalone movie. With the execption of expendables, I have liked them all for the most part. Yes, I understand he talks funny and says "I am da law", but hey, I like a little kick ass entertainment.
This one is more recent - 1995. The Year is 2139. The Planet Earth has changed into a virtually uninhabitable place called the "Cursed Earth". All of the Earth's population have crowded into the cities across the planet, now known as "Mega Cities". The crimes in these "Mega cities" became so violent and so powerful, that the regular justice system was powerless to contain, then it collapsed completely. But, a new Justice System came from the ashes, They were 3 justice systems in 1 (Police, Jury and executioner), they were called "Judges". In Mega City 1 (formarly, New York), There was a Judge, named Joseph Dredd, who was the toughest and most stringent Judge in history. One day, he was charged with murder. He was tried and sentenced to life in prison because of it. Then, Dredd found out that it was in fact a person who shares his DNA. Former Judge Rico. Now, Dredd has to find out what Rico is planning to do, and to discover about his past.
Flash forward to 2012, or I mean backwards. The new Judge Dredd will be Karl Urban. You may know him from Star Trek or Lord of the Rings. Sounds like it may have some entertainment potential. You can never have to much "justice". O no you can't!


For a scary movie that doesn't gore you out... 1979 The Changeling with George C Scott. Awesome movie. It is a must see.
ReplyDeleteBrad
Footloose : I don't get it. I don't think this remake has a hope in Hell of making a dime.
ReplyDeleteThe Thing : Has serious possibilities IF it doesn't turn in to some dumb ass action movie with the good guys fighting the CG monsters. If it stays a psychological thriller using better tech to tell the story and ramp up the tension, cool. However, I'm not optimistic.
Warriors : I suspect 'realistic' gangs might appear. If I can't have rollerskating mimes with baseball bats (Baseball Furies FTW!), it isn't The Warriors, goddammit. (This reminds me...this movie needs to appear at a movie night)
Judge Dredd : The Stallone movie was a debacle, and it apparently shat all over the IP. I'd be interested to see a flick that actually follows the comics, because they sound badass.
Dass not da wa! I YAM DA WA!
ReplyDeleteRob Schneider! Fetch my my flying motorcycle. It is time to bring justice to Kung-fu Joan Chen!
We'll know they're completely out of ideas when they attempt to remake Big Trouble in Little China.
ReplyDeleteHaven't seen Footloose yet - amazingly enough - but I've seen the others you mention. The Thing is a legitimate classic, The Warriors an absorbing diversion. Judge Dredd...I wasn't a fan. Hopefully the new Dredd movie will adhere to the comics more faithfully. (The new Dr. McCoy plays Judge Dredd!)
ReplyDelete